Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Pinning for Do-able Design

Pinned Image

It Doesn't Have To Be Complicated

The thing with design is that quite often, people over think it.

I believe that the design that makes your house a home should be easy. It should reflect your personality, should be easy to do and should feel easy, like a comfortable chair. Even if you have a more classical and less about cozy comfort, it doesn't mean things have to hard to execute.

I mean, why complicate things? 

Today I'm sharing some things that I've pinned on Pinterest because I love their simplicity. I love the touch that they can give a home without being complex, hoity toity or completely out of reach.  This stuff is easy, inexpensive and do-able. It doesn't matter what your design style is. There are ways to make things less complicated and incorporate them into your home.




1. Talk about clever. How about a cd rack turned bathroom organizer? I think this idea could be used in just about any room of the house including the bedroom for jewelry or perfumes, the pantry for spices, or the office for pens, pencils and what not.
2. I've talked about doing this with my sofa for ages. In fact, I think I've even shared this pin before. But hey, I'm not shy when I find a good idea. I don't have to keep it all to myself. Painters drop cloth as sofa cover? Hell yeah. Who the heck would care if the dog got on the drop cloth covered sofa??

3. How about using things you can find at any hardware store to change up some of your decor? Like rope for instance. Get the hot glue gun out and you  could transform any old plain jane mirror. 

(ps. check out the price of the one country living featured....I bet you could make this for under $20 bucks. just sayin')

4.  Ah, the wonders for decoupage. You can transform just about anything. If you don't dig the sheet music, choose something else.....stationery, wrapping paper, old newspapers, old book pages, scrapbooking paper.
The possibilities are endless.

5. This is as simple as a bouquet gets. Baby's breath and a glass with a little lace around it. So lovely.

6. Do you have old jewelry that you don't know what to do with? Been looking for a new memo board?  Here's the answer.  Glue magnets to the back of old bits of jewelry you have no use for anymore. You can also find plenty of inexpensive old jewelry at flea markets, thrift stores and antique shops. Use an old metal tray as your board and your new magnets to hold everything to it.  Pretty darn easy.

Have you pinned any easy, do-able design elements? If you have, share a link to your pin or board in the comments.

If you're not pinning with me on Pinterest yet, you'll find me here.  If you are on pinterest and like this post, you can easily pin it with the 'pin it' button just below this post.

Rainy day here. It had to happen sometime.  Make it a great one whether it's wet or dry.

See you on the flip side,






14 comments:

  1. LOVE them all!! I totally made one of the music sheet tables and it sold so quickly I made another one today! We must be on the same wave length today... or great minds just think alike:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that sheet music table now!!! link it up here lady!!! didn't you have a post about it???

      awesome on selling quickly! i think this idea would be a sweet with vintage advertisements too. or the covers of old sheet music. my parents have a lot and the artwork was gorgeous.

      Delete
  2. I love the baby's breath in a mason jar. So simple, and a lot prettier than a fancy arrangement for everyday use.

    I like simple/easy projects too! Anything with a lot of fuss annoys me, so I try to keep my DIY projects as manageable as possible. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one! manageable is exactly the way I like it too. of course, i'm saying this after we built an addition that doubled the size of our house. we did it ourselves and with the help of family and friends. STILL finishing things up. but after that, manageable is a good thing to shoot for.

      Delete
  3. My friend tried to change a new piece of steal into something rusty like the old tray, exactly for the same use, like shown here. But it didn't work at all. Months outside and working on it with a kind of acid didn't help. The rust just came down. After she used something to fix the rust it turned into an ugly piece. Anyone has an idea how to make steal rusty?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hhhmmm, can't say i've ever tried to intentionally 'rust' steel. but i'd think there was a way. in fact i could swear i've seen something that is some type of spray to make things rust. but could have been the acid that your friend tried. will have to throw that out to everyone and see if they have a better answer.

      Delete
  4. What fun ideas! I love the flowers in the mason jars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how simple, right Reshma? throw a little lace ribbon around it, some baby's breath which is inexpensive and you have a lovely little arrangement.

      Delete
  5. I love that wooden box above the bathroom sink...that's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. totally!!!!!!!!!!!! i'll never look at a wooden cd rack the same again

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. i'm not sure i'd ever have thought to do that with a cd rack Debbi

      Delete
  7. The simple look is definitely in these days anyway, so it's nice to see that it actually CAN be simple! Great look for your blog, btw :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. isn't it nice to find things that make you go ....why didn't i think of that? that's SO easy?

      thanks for the kind words angela. hope the new shop is off to a great start!

      Delete

You comments make my day. Thanks for taking the time to visit Mercantile Muse and for commenting. I really appreciate it. ~Pam

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...