Thursday, April 3, 2014

Take A Walk With Us: For The Birds

Both Small & Big

Ah, Spring. It finally feels a bit like there is a new season in the air. The birds are flitting about, chirp-chipping, and have been quite busy in general.

This includes the bluebirds, which make me happy.  Partly because of their pretty color and sweet disposition, and partly because they were quite scarce here for years. Luckily, they have made a comeback and they love our neighborhood. Some of that has to do with the field at Sunset Meadows. Blue birds like open space. What this means for us, since our place faces Sunset Meadows, is the bluebirds are quite comfortable in our yard.

This fellow planted himself in one of our lilac bushes so he could spend time preening. G spotted him first and said, 'That bluebird is huge!". Which made me think that it was going to be a pregnant female, but it was a roundy little guy making sure he looked his best.



What? You think I could look a bit more handsome?


Fine. I can take a hint.


Don't worry, I won't forget behind the ears.


Well, will you look at me.....I said, look at me!



Yesterday, when the hound I took a walk over the field, as we got back to the house, I could hear a Pileated Woodpecker.  The Pileated Woodpecker is North America's largest woodpecker and is about the size of a Crow.  These birds can take care of an old dead tree like it's nobody's business.

As I got going at my desk, I could hear the Pileated had come closer. It sounded like it was right out the side door, behind my desk. I got up to have a look and lo and behold, he was there. And he brought a friend! This has to be one of the coolest bird pictures I've gotten yet. What are the odds of capturing dueling Pielateds?


They were quite busy working the tree.

Up and down.


And all around.


Until they'd had their fair share.

In other nature news, some signs of Spring are starting to pop up.

Snowdrops!


And moss.



Generally speaking though, everything still pretty much looks like this.


We'll get there inch by inch.

Sunset Meadows

It's been awhile since I posed a Sunset Meadows shot, and quite frankly that's because it's been too damn cold to stand out there like a fool taking sunset shots.

Last night however, I was out raking in the yard (yes! raking in the yard! hip hip hooray) and was treated to this beautiful spectacle.


How perfectly wonderful, yes?


Is Spring showing it's head where you are? Are the birds very chatty? Flowers popping up? I know some of you are ahead of us on that front and probably have a bit more spring color, but at least I have something to look forward too!

Have a great day, one and all. I'll be sure to do the same.

Ciao for now,


2 comments:

  1. Stunning pictures. I especially like the dried Queen Anne's head :>)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sigh. I hope to move to somewhere with a long view and a sunset. soon. that would be nice.

    ReplyDelete

You comments make my day. Thanks for taking the time to visit Mercantile Muse and for commenting. I really appreciate it. ~Pam

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...