Wednesday, January 2, 2013

2013....Time to Change Up The Chalkboard Wall


Happy To See It In The Rear View

Well, here we are. 2013.  I can't say that either of us here at the Bates Estate are sad to see 2012 go. While we had some really happy moments (like my 25th college reunion, our niece's wedding & Dublin visitors three times over), a lot 2012 was simply the pits. I may or may not have put up a good front here on the Muse.......I did share some of the worst of the worst with you like losing my Godfather Bo, losing our dear Sister-friend Cin, losing our cousin Gail and friend Mike, watching our friend Bernie move far away, friends and family getting whopped by Hurricane Sandy, friends losing loved ones and facing challenges of their own...there was just a lot of stuff we all could have done without. Top it off with Gar's job of 26 years being no more, and you'll get the picture. Of course there is more, but suffice it to say 2012 was a very challenging year and we were beyond ready to ring out the old and ring in the new. Not to be a downer, I am generally a half full type of girl and I am really excited about the possibilities that 2013 holds. I'm not just excited, I am ready, willing and able to welcome them with open arms.  After all, the valleys in life, are what makes the views from the peaks take your breath away.

To mark the occasion of a new year, I took a wet rag to our chalkboard wall and changed things up. I wanted to do it for Christmas, but never got around to it. Like a lot of things on the proverbial list. It fell by the wayside. It was looking pretty gnarly at this point, complete with kid grafitti.



In a matter of minutes it when from that, to this. A blank slate. Just like 2013.  All I left was what my Dublin nieces had put on the wall and only because I was threatened with bodily harm (I won't mention any names........Alison Bates...sorry, that just slipped out) if I removed it.



New Year's Eve seemed like the perfect time to set chalk to wall.  As I was cleaning the house for our later festivities,  I thought to myself.......2013 will be our year. We will rise from the ashes of 2012 and march headlong into 2013.....the year 'we make good things happen'. 

Ah.......new beginnings.........rising from the ashes like a Phoenix from the fire.  

Now for the unveiling..........drum roll please.....








Do you pick a word for the year? I know some people do. This year, I'm picking two. SIMPLIFY and RISE are my words for the year the year. 

I'll be doing lots of thinking and planning over the next week or so in order to make the 'simplification and rising a reality'. Revisiting my manifesto for a new year, (boy did I failed miserably at a lot of the things I wanted to do-- that said, I did pretty good at others- so I guess I'll leave it at that for now), I'll tweak, reevaluate where I'm at, where I want to goo and how I plan on getting there.

For now, a simple reminder.


Happy New Year to all of you, many of whom I know have also faced life changing challenges over the last year.  Of course, there were also many who perhaps had the best year of their lives.  So here's to all of us, the New Year and writing a new chapter in the story of our lives. 

Thanks SO much for being here. It means the world to me.

Ciao for now. See you on the flip side.



10 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Pam! I wish you a wonderful year filled with more good things than bad. You deserve it.

    I love the idea of the chalkboard wall. That looks like a fun idea.

    I think my word, if I were to choose one, will be balance, since I never feel like I have it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOO, that's a good one too! balance. I will be trying that later when I actually hit the yoga mat in far too long. gotta bring it all back to the center.

      the chalkboard wall is fun........can't believe nobody remembered to sign it on new Year's eve!!! we were too busy dancing I guess.

      So happy to know you through the blog-a-verse Kristen xxoo

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year Pam!! may 2013 be filled with abundance in blessings, good health and magical adventures. I think my word this year is Growth!! hugs, C. (HHL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celia, I have NO DOUBT, even without choosing it as your word for the year, that you will continue to grow. To think what you have survived, where you were and what you have worked through to get to where you are now..........that's a LOT Of growth. You're gonna rock it right out of here! Wishing you bright blessings, lots of sunshine and enough rain to grow grow GROW!

      Delete
  3. Ciao Pamela! Your chalkboard wall is so great! I wish you all the best for this new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ciao Ollina! So glad you stopped by.

      I'm really happy I changed up the chalkboard wall......it was past time and the new year is a perfect excuse.

      Delete
  4. I need a chalkboard wall, this is awesome. I just posted chalkboard card in my Etsy Boutique Paperie Blooms, a very cool technique! Heres to you and a fabulous New Year!

    enjoy *~*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teresa......the chalkboard is a ton of fun. I also did some small trays back in october when we did a craft fair. Super sweet! What beautiful cards you make. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year! I have to say, your chalkboard wall is awesome.

    I like your words for the year, too. I've never picked one before, but I guess it would be something like "evolve" since I know my jewelry business will be changing as I get closer to finishing my interior design degree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks paige. Happy New Year back!

      spill the beans...........evolve is a GREAT one........so do you think you'll evolve towards interior design in your store....open a new one??? inquiring minds want to know!

      Delete

You comments make my day. Thanks for taking the time to visit Mercantile Muse and for commenting. I really appreciate it. ~Pam

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...