Monday, June 11, 2012

The Big City



Always Too Fast

As usual, our trip to NYC was quick with a capital Q. Just when we're settling in it's time to come home. Ah well, we really enjoy every minute while we are there. The weather cooperated and which always helps since we do a lot of walking.

When we hit NYC on Thursday afternoon, our niece Ali was just landing at JFK with her boyfriend Jay. They flew over to enjoy the the city for a 4 days for her birthday. Nice present Jay.  It was the first time we got to meet Jay in person, we'd only talked via skype previously. The four of us had a blast.  It was his first trip to NYC and he was bit by the bug. It's hard not to be.

We met Thursday evening for a nice dinner at our pal Tommy's place TJ Byrne's on Fulton Street in the Seaport.  We had a lot of laughs.

The next morning we got up and the sun was shining. Ali was on a shopping mission and Jay was the official bag holder. We'd see them later as they were staying midtown and we were staying in the Seaport. 

We walked our 'usual route' past City Hall. 


Through City Hall Park which had pretty hydrangeas I'd never seen before...they were long and skinny.



Up to MacDougall Street to our old haunt, Panchitos. If you're a Margarita lover like us. This is the place in NYC. Ali and Jay met us there and then we walked just up the street to Washington Square Park, another old haunt. When we stopped in the park last year, there was a lot of work going on. It looks great.  Beginning with this shady corner to get out of the sun. Coral bells blooming.


A neat shaggy bark tree with sun showering down on it.


The fountain with the kids splashing on a hot, almost summer, day.


I thought Gar was thinking about jumping in, but he didn't.


The kids weren't as shy.


I love this park. It has a little bit of everything. One corner with the chess players, the fountain, the beautiful entrance arch, and always some music.

Got a shot of the Dubliners in front of the arch.


Then I needed some close ups. General Washington. He's pretty impressive.




Then President Washington on the other side of the arch.

And lest you think there is no green in the city, the trees were popping and so were the roses.

We stopped and listened to the music before heading back downtown to take a ride out of the seaport on a high speed boat.


More on that tomorrow.

Hope your weekend was grand. Even though it's nice to go away, it's always nice to come home.

Ciao for now,

7 comments:

  1. Looks like a lot of fun. The only time I was in New York, I never left the airport. Someday I need to go see the city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you MUST get to NYC. there is SO much to see and do. and the people are NICE, not at all the way they're portrayed in most shows/movies. lots of history too.

      Delete
  2. Weird. I swear I left a comment earlier...just had your page still open in one of my tabs...hmmm...it's with the black socks I suppose...in that spot where lost things go. I am sure I was quite witty in my original comments...hmm..now not so much. I like your photos. Looks like you had an awesome time. You deserve it! :) Welcome back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. even weirder. i swear i replied to everyone's comments on thursday. poof. they were gone today. go figure.

      bonnie, you're always witty. black socks and all.

      Delete
  3. I've only been to NYC once, but we had a great time. So nice to see the spring pictures! And speaking of hydrangeas, mine are in full bloom and I got the bluing in just in time. So I have "blue", pink and white. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great vacation. and a busy weekend. :)
    Debbi
    -yankeeburrowcreations

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great time...thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

You comments make my day. Thanks for taking the time to visit Mercantile Muse and for commenting. I really appreciate it. ~Pam

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...