Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Take A Walk (or Ride) With Us: Part Two


Up The Coast A Bit

On Sunday, we took the coast North, starting in North Hampton and then onto Rye which I showed you yesterday. Next on the list was Newcastle.

That sunshine filled Winter day didn't disappoint, and neither did the sights.


Color. Texture. Architecture. History. It's all right here.

The Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse, sits at the end of a peninsula that also houses Fort Constitution and the Coast Guard Station.


The Whaleback Lighthouse is further out, at what I guess could be called the entrance to Porstmouth Harbor. It is officially in Kittery, Maine (or Kit-tree as we call it using our best NH/Maine accent- ayuh), just over the border.

I did tell you that the ocean was awash in sparkles.  These nearly looked like phosphorescent particles. Quite magical.


I met another model-friend of mine. He not only sat quite still on the railing while Gar stopped the car on the bridge, right along side so I could capture him. He also stayed there while I got a close up of his handsome-self.


I think he's quite spectacular with his mottled feathers, pink legs and golden eye. Seagulls get a bad rap. Sure, you may see them swooping in parking lot for some trash (by the way, who wouldn't swoop for a stray french fry?), but most of the time they are hanging seaside. Not a bad place to call home.

Slowly getting warmer this week. If we hit those 50s like they are predicting, it might be a bit weird, but it will also be welcome.

I didn't get very far on the organizing-the-desk front yesterday. So there will be more of that today among other things.  How about you? What's hot in your neck of the woods?

Ciao for now,



7 comments:

  1. Really wonderful pics and descriptions of the ride! Thanks - odd reading the names like Portsmouth, Rye, Newcastle etc. - and knowing they're the other side of the Atlantic! Our Portsmouth is just a 1-1/2hour drive away from my flat - and does not look like yours at all!

    Isobel: www.ColdhamCuddliescalling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well my dear........they do call area New England!

      It is funny though.........all the same names....Newmarket, Exeter too.

      Oh our Porstmouth is such a lovely little city on the ocean. Wonderful restaurants, lots of history, beautiful park and great shops.

      Delete
  2. We recently went to the coast, too--The Pacific Coast. We live in Oregon and went to Cannon Beach and Ecola State Park. Isn't the beach wonderful! I'll have some pictures on my blog in a few days--download system broken, have to wait to get a new adapter! Pooh! But loved your pictures! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not realize you were in Oregon, not sure how the heck I missed that. Oh, I'd love to see the West coast someday. It looks so, so pretty. Bummer about the adapter. That stinks! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Debbi........it's funny but sometimes you do end up taking your own neck of the woods for granted. It's nice to get out and look at things with fresh eyes.

      Delete
  4. Stunning photos! I particularly like the ones of the water shimmering.

    ReplyDelete

You comments make my day. Thanks for taking the time to visit Mercantile Muse and for commenting. I really appreciate it. ~Pam

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...