Put One Foot In Front Of The Other
Hey gang, as I mentioned yesterday, there was a storm heading our way. We totally lucked out. After we battened down the hatches, we still had time before it hit to head over to the field for a good stretch of the legs. Needless to say, Lucan was thrilled. It's been such a hot summer, meaning we didn't get too many of our walks in, so I was thrilled too.
Gar was lead-man through the field and into the woods.
And yes, we did beat the storm.
The field across the street is our go-to place to walk for a few reasons:
- it's literally across the street.
- when you get to the top of the hill, it drops down and nobody knows you're there and the dog isn't distracted by what's going on in the road.
- there is plenty of room for Lucan to run
- we nearly always score something special to bring home, yesterday it was the hawk feather.
- if you go up and down the hills, it's a pretty good workout (which I could really use at this point)
- we often share the field with deer and turkeys. we hear coyotes at night, but thankfully haven't run into any during the day. i usually have a big stick just in case.
- at the far end of the field, there is a trail of sorts that goes into the woods. it's a great place for quiet thinking and destressing. we've seen an owl and a porcupine in a tree in the woods. the owl did the entire headtwist while looking at us, and the porcupine stayed way up in the tree. good porcupine.
- our town conserved this beautiful open land a few years ago and nothing can ever be built on it
- it's the backdrop for sunset meadows
I feel very lucky to have numerous routes for walking and enjoying nature, including the field, the trails around the corner and at Phillips Exeter, and of course, the beach. Now, I do enjoy a walk in our neighborhood too, but I'd choose an off road walk over and on road walk any day.
What's your favorite place to walk?
By the way, as far as the storm goes it did get very windy and it lashed rain. No trees down in our yard but close....our neighbors Lauren and Jay lost one out back at the edge of the woods. They didn't even know it until Gar went over to offer his chainsaw. Good thing the storm was a quick mover.
$180+ of Handmade and Vintage for You To Win
When I say Mercantile Muse sponsors are awesome, I am not pulling the wool over your eyes. This month they've been kind enough to offer prizes totalling close to $200. Did you enter yet? Somebody has to win, but you can't win if you don't enter.
Since they're so damn cool and I think you'll really like them, you will find them in the righthand sidebar. When you have a chance, you really should check out their shops. I think you'll be happy that you did.
Did you notice it's Wednesday already? Woohoo to that!
Ciao for now,