Sunday, September 18, 2011

Steak Bomb Sandwich and Saturday Night at The Campfire


A Sandwich to Make a Crowd Happy

As mentioned yesterday, Friday night I made my steak and cheese subs for the neighborhoodlums.  I did a big batch, and there was tons leftover even though there were 6 of us, and that was with some going back for seconds.  I was pretty happy because it meant Gar and I could have leftovers at the campfire last night. Leftovers of this recipe are welcomed. 


Pam's Oven Steak Bomb Subs
(feeds 8 people or more if serving other things on the side)

2 packages of shaved steak- approx 1.4 lbs each (I am able to get this fresh at our grocery store, if you don't see it, ask your butcher)

1 lb of Hoffman Cheddar from the deli counter (if you can't get hoffman cheddar I'd suggest a mix of American cheese and Swiss or provolone)

1 16oz package of sliced mushrooms (I used a mix of button and baby bellas)

2 large white onions, sliced

1 lasagna tin pan for easy clean up

Put shaved steak into tin pan and cook in oven at about 350 degrees F.  As it cooks, move steak around with a fork to separate so it doesn't all end up in big cooked clump.  You can drain some of the meat juice off if desired. I have before, I didn't this time.  As meat begins too cook, add the mushrooms and the onions.  Keep moving it all around with the fork every 5 minutes.  Turn down to about 300F as meat looks more cooked.  Break up 1/4 hoffman cheese slices and add to the mix. Again, move it all around with a fork or a big spoon at this point to coat it all with cheese. Add another 1/4 of cheese every few minutes, mix and let it all melt. When it's all melted in, serve on nice rolls or french bread. We served on french bread this time and it was delicious.  Enjoy!

We Love a Campfire

We were hankering for a campfire Friday night but the breeze never really died down enough. Last night it did. The air was crisp and it was perfect night. 

We played a game of dominoes while the fire got going. Actually two. I think we each won a game. We got to watch the pretty sunset as we played too. Life is good.





By the time we were done playing, the fire was roaring. Gar was fire master last night.


If you have the space where you live, I highly recommend building a fire pit. I built ours from cobblestones a friend gave us that came from the streets of Boston. If you don't have a lot of room, then get a patio fire pit or chimnea. There's nothing like sitting around an outdoor fire on a nice fall night. OK, technically it's still summer until Thursday, but right now it feels like fall.

Sunset Meadows

It was truly a night to enjoy the outdoors.  The sunset was nice enough to oblige and give us a good show.





I took these while I sat at the picnic table playing dominoes.  You gotta love that.





I hope you have a great Sunday in your little corner of the world. I'll be cooking a pork roast for Dad's birthday dinner later. Mom just called to say they had shrimp leftover from last night and would bring that for an appetizer. Yay! Before cooking the roast,  just some regular house keeping. Wait, wait.........and before that........hopping into the shower to use my new 'obscure heliotrope' soap I ordered from Courtney Jo at Milk and Honey Naturals and of The Everything Soap blog. I can't wait. It smells heavenly.

Don't forget to take  a moment to enter the giveaway for these note cards!



Happy Sunday.





1 comment:

  1. Ugh - I am so hungry now! I don't even know what I want, but I'm certainly considering a steak sandwich with a giant blue cheese salad. OMG - My stomach actually just growled. Food photos should be illegal, LOL!

    ReplyDelete

You comments make my day. Thanks for taking the time to visit Mercantile Muse and for commenting. I really appreciate it. ~Pam

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...