Monday, November 11, 2013

To Veterans, One and All

Thank You

Today in the USA, it's a day to be humbled by the actions of others. It's a day to remember the sacrifices of our Veterans. It's a day to say a heartfelt thank you for their service.


I took time out of the day to attend the services in my hometown.  It was to the point. Give thanks. Give many thanks the servicemen and servicewoman who have give of their time and honored our country and protected the freedoms we all enjoy here.

It bears repeating. Just say thanks. It's not nearly what they deserve, but at least it's something.

On Veterans Day I think of all the Veterans who have been and are a part of my life: my Dad who served in the Army during the Korean War, my Grandfather who served in the British bicycle corps in WWI and knew the horrendous depths of trench warfare, G's grandfather and Uncles who served, my Uncle Eddie who was a medic, my Godfather who served in the Navy, my Uncle George who served in Korea and two tours in Vietnam where he was injured, my Uncle Norm who served in WWII in the Pacific theater and his wife Auntie Auggie who was a Marine Corps nurse who served in the islands during WWII, my friend Gavin who served in the Marines and his wife Sharon who also served, my neighbor who served on a chopper in Vietnam, my friend who captained a riverboat in Vietnam, my neighbor's dad who served in the Pacific theater in WWII, my friend who served in the Army, and my friends sons who have have served in Afghanistan and one still in the service.

The list goes on and I'm sure I've left someone out, but that's not the point. The point is all of our veterans, and their loved ones, all have stories of sacrifice to tell. Some more harrowing than others.  Ask and listen when a veteran is willing to tell you about their service because as Post Commander Fatello said today, 'if we don't the stories die as our old soldiers fade away'.

I searched online for veterans stories, to share a story about a veteran I don't know. What I found on my first search is quite a story.  Thank you to all the Veterans today, including Chalie Heinl who you can read about here.

I pray that someday the world will know peace.

Until that day and after, I will always, always be grateful for the sacrifice others have made for my freedoms. 

Ciao for now,





No comments:

Post a Comment

You comments make my day. Thanks for taking the time to visit Mercantile Muse and for commenting. I really appreciate it. ~Pam

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...