Sunday, May 13, 2012

A Sunday For Mothers


Happy Mother's Day

It's here. The one day of the year when we actually acknowledge how much moms mean to us.

I hope all of you Moms out there, including my Mom (on the left) get to do whatever they please today. Because they deserve it. Where would we all be without our moms?

Mom, take the day off, sit back and relax and let Dad take care of things today.  That means no laundry, no cooking, no cleaning. Just do whatever you please.

My mom definitely deserves it. She works her butt off everyday. Never stops. Always puts others first. Is more thoughtful than anyone else we know.  In fact we joke that she has thank you notes made out ahead of time because you get them so quickly.



You better stay in line or she might give you the Dignam elbow.  You can't leave her house without taking 'your bag' which is always full of magazines, articles she's clipped out for you, coupons and other various things.  When you're leaving her house, she is sure to be following you to the door and calling out 'Buy bonds' as you get in your car. She'll also be calling your house if you forget to call and let her know you got home safe if it's dark out, even though you're in your 40s.

That's my Mom.

I'm also thinking of my Godmother (center in the picture) today. Her and my mother have been best of pals since they worked at Con Ed together when they were just out of high school.  She's strong. She's easy to talk to. She's the best godmother a gal could have.


Mother's Day also makes me think of the mother-in-law I never got to meet. Gar lost his mom to breast cancer when he was about 15. I have to say, I feel like I got jipped. By all acounts she was a no-nonsense, caring, real Irish mom. The kind that would make a loaf of bread with no recipe and no measuring cups.  I know she would have been a big part of my life.

So, Happy Mother's Day to all you moms out there.  I do hope you get to enjoy a little downtime today. You really do deserve it.

Love you Mom. We think you're the best!

Elle Moss 21 Day Photo Challenge

Today's subject for the ellemoss photo challenge is 'signs'.  This picture always cracks me up. The the Winncutt Road Gang hanging out under a no hunting sign. It's as if those turkeys were posing for me.



Then there is this picture. A different kind of sign. I took this one at this year's 9/11 services in my hometown.  It's always a sad occasion. It is not only a rememberance of the events that took place in the city near and dear to my heart, our legion takes time to honor those from our state how have died in the war on terrorism. Each year the new names are engraved on the stone and the legion unveils them, with the families of the fallen present. It's emotional. It's why I always pray for peace. 


Enjoy your Sunday.

2 comments:

  1. Pam - what a beautiful tribute to mothers, all of ours and those who mother us in a variety of ways. My husband lost his mom when he was 14 - just like G. So, I never got to meet the dynamo his 4'11" mother was - I know I missed out on having an amazing woman in our lives. Fun to see the photo of you, your mom and Godmother - sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes, let's not forget those who 'mother' us . Sorry you never got to know your mother in law either Bonnie. I'm so sure we both got jipped,but at least we know they're looking over us.

      Delete

You comments make my day. Thanks for taking the time to visit Mercantile Muse and for commenting. I really appreciate it. ~Pam

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...