Wednesday, January 8, 2014

What Inpsires You Wednesday: Wolves, Gorillas & Mountains

Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?


It's funny in an odd sort of way. We sit at our computers and read what others have put out there, what they have to say and show us. We are all guilty of making judgements about what we 'think' people are like or what challenges they face, or perhaps how easy they have it or how uuber successful they are.  It's human nature.

Then you find out, they're not all they're cracked up to be. Scratch that. They are all they're cracked up to be, despite having fears, anxieties and insecurities just like the rest of us.

This theme seems to making itself known in my life this week in coversations with my best friend, then in an article that explored creative types incessant ability to judge themselves more harshly than anyone elseVery successful artists no less, like Bruce Springsteen and Woody Allen.  Today, this wonderfully honest post by Bri Emery at Design Love Fest popped up in my facebook feed.

I guess I can run (or not), but I can't hide. Hence, it's what is inspiring me today. Perhaps it's time we talked about the 1 ton gorilla that seems to parking it's big-damn-hairy-self on the shoulder of just about everyone I know, in my 3D world and on the internet.

What the hell are we all so afraid of?

Failure? Well, we need to cross that off our 'things to fear' list right this second. Newsflash: everyone fails at something at sometime.

Did you know that Van Gough, though a brilliant painter, never sold one of his paintings in his lifetime? Sit with that one a moment. Van Gough never sold a single painting in his lifetime.  Now think about this: Did it stop him from painting?  Thankfully not.

I was fearful of hitting the 'publish' button on Monday's post, The Year Of Us. But why? Because we wouldn't be able to live up to what I was putting out to the universe? Sharing something personal could open us up to criticism which could lead to feelings of being hurt. Because I'd look like an idiot?

So what? Well so much for fear, insecurity and anxiety - that's what. I hit publish anyway. In spite of myself. And you know what? I wasn't criticized. The world didn't stop turning. I didn't have to stay under the covers for fear of ever showing my face again.  In fact, quite the opposite. People have gone out of their way to let me know how much they loved the post.

Just imagine, the post I was afraid to publish for fears of insecurity, anxiety and failure actually connected with people. It resonated on some human level that we all share.  How cool is that?

As we continue to make action plans for the year 'we have claimed as ours', I will do my best to remember this:


At least, that's what I think.

Damn.  I have to hit publish again. A little scary I must confess, but I'm doing it anyway.

Make me feel a little bit better about it, won't you and tell me:

What are you afraid of?

What are you letting it stop you from doing?

Carpe diem people. Over and out.

Ciao for now,





mountain photo source: unsplash- where you'll find a ton of gorgeous high resolution images, that are free to use thanks to contributors' creative commons licensing.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your unique perspective and message of hope. It is very good to be reminded that language and "knowledge" can dissociate us not only from others but from ourselves. Office furniture Melbourne

    ReplyDelete

You comments make my day. Thanks for taking the time to visit Mercantile Muse and for commenting. I really appreciate it. ~Pam

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...