Saturday, December 17, 2011

A Merry Bookclub-Champagne-Ladies Christmas


Doing It Up Right

Take a tip from The Champagne Ladies...........you only live once, but if you live right- once is enough.  Live large. 'Nuf said.

Last night was 'Bookclub' Christmas, complete with the guys.

I've told you before, we started as a 'bookclub', but quickly morphed into more of a food and champagne club and the best of friends. I LOVE these gals. Each of us is very different, and that's part of what makes it work so well.

The evening started with people arriving with bottles of champagne and big picnic baskets in their hands.

Here's a run down of the night, and I apologize for the 'wrong' camera setting. I was having too much fun to notice. 

We began with some of Carey's (aka Martha) fig and olive tapenade.  Then like magic the bar was filled up with an entire buffet of appetizers.

Here's Martha going for some of her hot artichoke dip.



The buffet also included my smoked salmon with cream cheese, onions and capers which is one of Soy Goddess's (Kath) favorites. 

I tried to get some more of the smoked salmon I use for this ( I think it's Echo Falls out of Washington State), but the store was out. I had to come up with something on the fly. Luckily they had some fresh cooked lobster meat, so I made up a dip.

Jim and Pearl (aka Laurel....and you can see why we call her Pearl, can't you?) bellied up to the buffet and Pearl topped her pressed potatoes that I made, with the lobster dip.



Need a closer look?


We all followed suit. Including The Inspector.



I'm just going to tell you, the pressed potatoes will be known as smorgasbord potatoes from now on, because in addition to the lobster dip we topped them with whatever else we wanted that was on the buffet. It was classic.  As you can see in the picture of The Inspector, we still have trim to finish in our kitchen remodel, but I digress.

I have no idea why this one looks like an 'action shot'. The only action going on was Bill, Gar and Kath talking.


Ah, then Soy Goddess (who owns Blue Moon Evolution) put out her Chicken Marbella. If you haven't had this dish, make it. Rustic, sweet, sour, sticky goodness.  On the side.......Pearl's holiday salad ala Giada.



We did lots of talking, LOTS of laughing, and even sang a song or two. Oh yeah, we also drank champagne, but you could have guessed that. Right?

Then Pearl, who I dubbed Yogi last night because she came with the classic Yogi the Bear basket, went full-stop-over-the-top on dessert. Butterscotch Pudding Pie with whipped cream she whipped fresh in my kitchen, topped with bananas and pistachio brittle. Hello.


It couldn't have been a better night, but was over too soon. 

Girls, do you have to leave?



Wait, we forgot to get the Christmas picture.



Did I say we love these people?

This one's for you Champagne Ladies.





No comments:

Post a Comment

You comments make my day. Thanks for taking the time to visit Mercantile Muse and for commenting. I really appreciate it. ~Pam

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...